What does 2016 have in store for us? We're entering the Golden Age of women!
According to Sallie Krawcheck, Chair of Ellevate Network, a global professional women’s network, the year 2016 will be the year in which entrepreneurialism and feminism converge. Together, they’ll drive the start of a wave of female entrepreneurship and it’ll be good for the economy, good for consumers, good for society, and positive and empowering for the women who make the leap to starting and running their own businesses.
Research shows that start-ups with female leadership are more successful than those run by men only and by a fairly good measure. A recent report by First Round Capital shows 63% better performance from companies with women leaders than by all-male leadership teams.
You may have already noticed a lot of successful female entrepreneurs leading the way. They’ve founded and run businesses like Lynda.com, 23and Me, and Tory Burch. These women are not playing by the rules of the past. They are banishing the concept that women’s businesses are supposed to be little or cute, or that successful businesses are run mostly by men.
There is a growing “ecosystem” of networks supporting female entrepreneurs, and the cost of technology is decreasing which enables entrepreneurs to start businesses in ways they couldn’t even a year ago. Plus the other costs of running a business are coming down, too.
Krawcheck says entrepreneurialism is no longer just for the young or for men. She says it’s expanding its impact and women are increasingly getting involved, especially after the kids head off to college.
What’s the impact of all this?
These new women-run businesses will grow the economy and many of them will make the lives of other women better (and maybe even more fun). These businesses will also provide places for other women and men to work.
Companies that don’t “get it” and keep operating with mostly male leadership teams marketing to women (who buy most of the product) as though the rules of the past for engaging women are the same will suffer in this new economy. Our only choice in the past was to continue to buy from these companies. Today, it’s much more attainable for us to start our businesses.
Krawcheck say the big idea for 2016 is that we are entering the golden age of female entrepreneurship.
The even bigger idea is that women will begin to recognize this and take control of the power we have to control our own economic and financial destinies.
Debbie L. Kasman
Author Lotus of the Heart: Reshaping the Human and Collective Soul
- Sep 6, 2019 An Open Letter to the Canadian School Boards Association Sep 6, 2019
- Nov 15, 2018 Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board announces first-ever student census while ignoring equity issues Nov 15, 2018
- Nov 12, 2018 Counterpoint: Ontario experience provides ample rationale for axing school boards in Nova Scotia Nov 12, 2018
- Nov 1, 2018 Education Crisis in Ontario: Trustees stay on boards even after issues arise Nov 1, 2018
- May 19, 2017 Extraordinary Experiences by Ordinary People May 19, 2017
- Mar 4, 2017 An Open Letter to Premier Kathleen Wynne and Education Minister Mitzie Hunter Mar 4, 2017
- Feb 6, 2017 Three Hidden Ways Education Contributes to Discrimination Feb 6, 2017
- January 2017
- Nov 6, 2016 I want to live in a truly inclusive world, do you? Nov 6, 2016
- Oct 31, 2016 How to Grow Up Between 20 and 60 Years Old Oct 31, 2016
- Sep 11, 2016 Atheist Minister - Say What? Sep 11, 2016
- Aug 19, 2016 Kids and Intuition Aug 19, 2016
- Feb 19, 2016 The Golden Age of Women Feb 19, 2016
- Sep 19, 2015 Something To Think About Sep 19, 2015
- Apr 27, 2015 Celebrating Emmy Noether…Who? Apr 27, 2015
- October 2014
- September 2014
- Jun 3, 2014 Something to Think About Jun 3, 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- Nov 28, 2013 How to Deepen your Intuition Nov 28, 2013
- Nov 22, 2013 Ten Points to Ponder (and Ten Things I Love) About Einstein Nov 22, 2013
- Nov 15, 2013 Waiting for the World to Change Nov 15, 2013
- Nov 9, 2013 A World Gone Slightly Mad Nov 9, 2013
- Nov 4, 2013 A Mother's Intuition Nov 4, 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- Aug 29, 2013 Something Worth Thinking About Aug 29, 2013
- July 2013
- May 2013